Courtesy of Susquehanna Athletic Communications
BALTIMORE, Md. – The Susquehanna University volleyball team took down the Titans of Westminster (Pa.) in the first round of the NCAA Tournament 3-0 on Friday afternoon to advance to the second round. This is the first NCAA Tournament win in program history.
Susquehanna 3, Westminster 0
How It Happened
- The River Hawks (32-6) were able to combine for 42 kills to Westminster's (22-7) 25, to claim a 3-0 victory.
- In the first set, Susquehanna dominated the Titans in the 25-18 set victory.
- SU again dominated set two 25-15 as they tallied 18 kills and a .533 attack percentage. Junior Sydney Portale notched six kills in set two including her 1,000th career kill.
- The Titans and River Hawks went back-and-forth during the third set, but Susquehanna pulled away after gaining a 14-12 lead.
- The River Hawks 25-18 set victory was led by Lindsey Pugh as she contributed 13 assists making her the single season assists leader at Susquehanna with 1,261 assists and counting.
Inside the Box Score
- Portale led the match in kills with 14 while Rosina Esposito and Kody Dillon had seven and six respectively.
- Junior libero Lizzie Herestofa lead the match with 15 digs while Pugh and Kasey Bost were also in double digits with 12.
- Dillon lead the team defensively with a match-high four blocks assists.
- Westminster's leaders were Reilly DeGeorge with nine kills, Josie Toporcer with 13 digs and Samantha Kelly with 10 service aces.
Up Next for the River Hawks
- November 16 vs. Stevens Institute of Technology – NCAA Tournament Round 2— Baltimore, Md. – 4:00 p.m.